Friday, June 27, 2008

California, Pt. 2: Cerritos Park

I love to take photos after dark, especially in areas with street lights. There's something about the color that comes through. There's something about it that's quite interesting. Here are some pictures I took of the park across the street from my mother and father-in-law's community.

Cerritos Park

Cerritos Park

Cerritos Park

Cerritos Park

Cerritos Park

I can't wait for my new lens to come. I placed the order for it tonight. It's shipping from New Jersey, so it shouldn't take long to get here. It's the Sigma Super Wide Angle Zoom 10-20mm lens. I wish I had it for taking pictures on our vacation.

6 comments:

Craig Lee said...

I don't get to take a lot after dark photographs like these. Nice shots. By the way, I think I see a dust spot on the next to last one in the fountain. Might want to use a Rocket Blower or similar on it.

Congratulations on the new lens. That is one that I've been thinking about getting as well. It is between that one and the new Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8.

John Brainard said...

Thanks Craig. I didn't see that spot. I've seen tons of others. I must have been in a hurry. I bought a blower while out in California. I'll have to use it again.

I thought about the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, but it was just slightly out of my price range. The larger aperture would make it great for taking pictures of the kids.

I'm finding night photography to be quite fun. I plan on taking my camera downtown one evening after dark and seeing what I can get. Hopefully not trouble. :)

Craig Lee said...

Hehe, trouble this the thing I worry about the most with the camera at night.

John Brainard said...

Yeah. Me too. I'm reluctant to go by myself down town, but I live in a relatively small area. The worst I'd have to worry about usually is drunk college students. I'll choose to go on a Sunday or Monday night and with a friend.

Now that I'll be able to play with a wide angle lens, I might try for some night shots in the back yard and on state land.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! Night photography is challenging. Great work.

John Brainard said...

Thank you Steve. They were a lot of fun. I wish I had my 10-20mm lens out there. I tried taking some night shots at with it in low light and had very little luck. That's something I need to practice.