Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th Of July!

I woke up this fine 4th of July morning not sure what I was going to do. I figured I would try and get in some shooting, but looking out the window, I didn't see a sky I cared to be in my pictures. It was mostly gray. I decided I'd go anyway as it was relatively bright. Thankfully, when I got in my truck, I saw that the piece of sky revealed to me through my bedroom window was just a small piece of sky. There was much more sky up there that proved to be very interesting.

Roots

I drove to the Tioughnioga River fishing area in Blodgett Mills and trudged through dense and wet brush to take photos. I wanted to make sure the sun was behind my back, otherwise, I would have had a terrible time getting good exposures.

To celebrate the holiday we in this great nation enjoy and take pride in, I give you my attempt at HDR. I didn't want an unrealistic looking image. I wanted something that represented what I saw even though my camera was unable to capture it as the color and luminosity range of imaging sensors is inferior to the human eye.

This photo is of a network of exposed roots covered in moss. They are a little dark as I haven't quite grasped the whole method of creating an HDR image.


I had my truck parked a few feet from here.

IMG_9940A

The rest are pictures I took throughout the day. I have more that need to be processed, but these are the best of what I have so far.

IMG_010062A

IMG_9963A

I love how this one turned out. I was driving back from Tioughnioga River and pulled over to take a picture. I saw the stop sign and thought it would be interesting. So, I walked over there, laid on the ground and snapped a few pictures. Got up, laid down on another spot, took a few more pictures. My neighbors must think I'm loony, laying in the middle of the road like that!

The Stop Sign

I hope your 4th of July was as great or better than mine. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Craig Lee said...

It looks like you had a peaceful 4th. I like the shot with the road the best. Nice colors and it is the most eye-catching of the batch.

John Brainard said...

It was a nice 4th of July. We relaxed and played all day.

Every once in a while, I take a shot and I know it's going to be good. The Stop Sign was one of those. I gave the RAW file a nice tight S-Curve then did a LAB color boost on the photo in Gimp.