Thursday, July 24, 2008

Overcast at Onondaga Lake Park

I've been out to shoot in overcast situations before with very little luck, so I wasn't very inclined to go out again last night. Unfortunately, I was miserable yesterday and just wanted to get out to take some photos. On top of that, I haven't updated my blog for a week. So, I figured if I was going to learn how to take decent photos on overcast days, I'd have to go out. So, I chose Onondaga Lake Park as my destination.

I learned a good piece of information that I might not have learned. Unfortunately, I didn't learn it until I was at home looking at my pictures. The piece that I learned was that there are subjects that can look good in low light and others that just plain don't. I couldn't get my standard landscape shots, but the photo below, I'm quite happy with. I like the subject and I think it fits in very nicely with the gloomy skies. It's very somber. The only thing that's missing is some tumbleweed.

Short Pier

I learned something else as well. Photos that don't look good in color might look good in black and white. I decided I'd have a go at creating a black and white image out of a photo I didn't like in color. It's hard to tell from the photo because of the lack of color, but the object in the foreground is the exposed root of the tree in the background.

Roots

As I was on my way out of the park, I saw this guy running around the ground. He stopped and I was able to get my telephoto lens attached, but a car drove up and scared this squirrel up the tree. I was rather disappointed because I wanted to shoot him on the picnic table. This isn't technically a good photo, but I love squirrels. So, here it is.

Black Squirrel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to give credit to my black and white pic idea. :| I was the one that said it looked nice in black and white. :P

Me. :P