Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Whitney Point Reservoir, Pt. 2

This place is absolutely beautiful. I hardly ran into anybody. I saw one person and the evidence of one more. A few vehicles passed through the area, but it was very quiet and peaceful. I will definitely go back here.

I was going through my photos from this trip this morning, getting a bit discouraged. I posted a photo in my previous blog entry with a visible seam where I blended two exposures together. It's rather sloppy and I had hoped I wouldn't do that. I worked for about an hour this morning trying different things to fix it with little success. I haven't given up entirely, but I have set it aside for another day.

Here are some other photos I managed to get through my workflow. As you can see, I was there early enough to catch the sunrise. The sun didn't show itself much at first, but when it did, it was gorgeous. I'd wake up at 5am again to go back and catch the sunrise again.

Sunrise at Whitney Point Reservoir

Sunrise at Whitney Point Reservoir

I'm not sure about this one. I like it, but I don't. What do you think? Please feel free to comment on it.

IMG_012270

Feel free to post critiques of my photos in the comments. I won't learn anything if you don't tell me what you don't like about my work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one you were unsure about...I think that the sky is very dramatic, but the hills are a little hazy.

John Brainard said...

Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's much I can do about the haze in the hills until I acquire a polarizing filter. Hopefully I'll add one of those to my camera bag soon.

Anonymous said...

I really like your pictures. They have a comforting, dreamy sort of feel. The last one I think is cool. I like the colors in it and the varying light. The lit corner to the right is a little overexposed. But I like the tree :D.

Have a blessed day!

~His4ever~

Anonymous said...

I really like the expansive feel of these shots. It really gives perspective and makes the viewer feel quite small in comparison. And I love the mood in the clouds. Overall, great job!

John Brainard said...

Thank you His4Ever and Amy. I appreciate the comments.

I started really paying attention to the clouds when some people made comments on the photos I took on Sessions Hill Road. Now, I make a point to go out when the clouds have character or consider what's in the sky when I'm taking a shot. I've learned to move around a little to place the clouds in a better position relative to my subject.

The next thing I really need to start doing is finding good foregrounds. I've enjoyed my subjects lately and even the backgrounds, but my foregrounds often seem to be lacking.

DaddyDab said...

Great skyline but as you have commented foreground could use some emphasis when shooting.
Amateur myself so I greatly appreciate you blogging about your photography.