Monday, August 25, 2008

Enemy Opposition

Sunday, August 17th, the Youth Pastor at the Church we're attending organized a skate & bike demo by a Christian group called Enemy Opposition. Thinking my nephew might like it and wanting to show support to the youth pastor at our Church, we decided to go. I wasn't planning on taking pictures as I didn't really think I had the equipment to do it. My telephoto lens and my wide-angle lens aren't exactly the fastest lenses there are.

I'm glad I took out my camera. I was very surprised at the results. The sky exposed nicely on most of the photos and the skaters and BMX riders came out exposed decently. It would have been great if I had a flash, but you make do with what you have.

I quickly switched my camera to manual after taking the first few shots as I wanted the exposures to come out consistently and I wanted the skaters & riders to be properly exposed. I metered off my hand. It seemed to have worked fairly well as I didn't have to make too many adjustments after that. The biggest adjustment I made was setting the ISO to 200 about half way through. That allowed me to use a faster shutter speed, freezing the action and produce sharp images.

Enemy Opposition (by john_brainard)

Enemy Opposition (by john_brainard)

Enemy Opposition (by john_brainard)

Enemy Opposition (by john_brainard)

Enemy Opposition (by john_brainard)

It was a great time and I won't pass up the opportunity to do this again. Enemy Opposition's demos were a blast to watch and their testimony was great.

If you have a favorite photo from the group, let me know which one it is and why. Don't be afraid to critique my photos too! This is my first experience in event photography. It would be nice to know what I did wrong.

By the way. I was told the last person standing where I was standing and taking photos was taken out by a biker! Oops! Hopefully he's not hurt too badly. I heard he was more concerned about his camera then the blood pouring out of his body!

No comments: