Sunday, May 11, 2008

Gee Brook State Forest

Yesterday's trip to Gee Brook State Forest was fun. I had a good time with Steve. If we didn't get any good pictures, the trip was still worth it. We left my house around 8:45 to head up there. We had sandwiches and snacks packed to guarantee that we would be able to get plenty of interesting pictures.

There was one shot I had already composed in my mind. It was a dilapidated bridge that I wanted to shoot from a ledge a little ways down the river. Unfortunately, it didn't come out as I had expected. You can see my attempt at it here. When I composed the shot, in my mind, the trees were still bare and there was some snow on the ground. So, I'm going to go back this winter and see if I can get the shot I had hoped for.

This is the bridge I was hoping to shoot.


I have found streams and falls to be among the easiest things for me to shoot. Here are a few of the falls I was able to capture. I was hoping to take some longer exposures, but there was too much light and I don't have a neutral density filter. That is high on my list of things to purchase as is a wide angle lense.


Yesterday was a good day. I didn't get as many good shots as I was hoping to, but I'm satisfied with a handful of them. I managed to get 213 shots during the trip. I'm not sure how many Steve got, but I think it was about the same. Sadly, I came home and took another 445 pictures. A good lot of them are birds that I took from the kitchen window and another bunch of them are of my daughter and one of her friends.

Have a look at the rest of the set on Flickr.

No comments: